Thursday, January 21, 2016

Coqui Lullaby

I lay plainly in my hammock
counting the coqui as they sing 
the wind begins swaying me back and forth
while humidity blankets over me
the sea gently crashes in the distance
providing percussion to the amphibian lullaby 
in the house, Spanish is spoken amidst the hum of the air conditioning
As I begin waiting for the San Sebastian rain to fall
Each moment is anticipatory, I can hear from afar the cars jettisoning 
but never so fast as to disrupt the melody of the coqui
My hammock is tied to two trees
Both bear flowers with vibrant colors: red and blue 
Some petals gently fall atop of me due to the rustling wind 
I lay lifeless, animated only by the mosquitoes 
a slight muscle twinge scares them off. 
How can my island be poor?
The sun and the sea cradles us. 
As I begin to drift away I can hear the waterfalls in Yunque 
While I lose consciousness, I hear the fritura crackle in oil. 
I hope that every time I die, I am put in this hammock. 
So that I may dance on this island one last time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment